Thursday, May 28, 2009

Salt and Silver

I really hate to say bad things about a book, but this one didn't do it for me. I started reading this last night and was over half way done before i gave up.
The story idea wasn't bad - a hellmouth in someone's diner, a hot demon hunter, and a girl with developing powers. Yay, right? It was written in first person and it felt like the whole book was just this girl's stream of conciousness. I didn't feel connected to the story, to the characters or even to her. The main character was supposed to be nearing 30 but acted 14.
I really felt like i was reading a young adult book honestly. Except for the sex scenes - and that was just randomly thrown in there. We went through the whole first quarter of the book with the protagonist making it clear that the hero wasn't interested in her. Then suddenly..he's feeling her up in the basement. And it wasn't the hot spontanious groping either - i felt like i'd missed a page or something.
I honestly felt like i was hearing this story second hand, it just didn't pull me in. Some parts were pretty funny, the author has a quirky sense of humor that got me giggling a couple times.
I also didn't like the main character, Allie. She was kinda stupid. and spoiled. and childish. Which i supposed she was supposed to be, since she was a former rich girl turned poor diner manager but i never saw any growth from her. She just kinda told us that she was rich and now she was all responsible and grown up and stuff.
Over all i'd say no. I might read something from her again..just to see if her writing has improved because like i said, good story idea and quirky humor...but i'm not going to finish Salt and Silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment